DUI Lawyer in Phoenix: What a DUI Charge Means and How to Defend Your Future
A BAC of .08 may not seem very high at all, and unfortunately, can result in arrests for driving under the influence charges, oftentimes when the person driving is in actual physical control of the motor vehicle is very likely safe to do so. But because Arizona DUI laws associated with the legal BAC level are severe — usually only amounting in about one to two alcoholic beverages, depending on how much the person weighs, how long they have been drinking, and how much food they have consumed — it is not uncommon to be charged with a DUI offense in or around Phoenix, and the penalties are quite serious in most cases.
You Have Rights and We’re Here to Help!
What it Means to Be Driving Under the Influence Based on AZ DUI Statute ARS 28-1381
In Arizona, according to ARS 28-1381, you are driving under the influence if you are driving or in actual physical control of the motor vehicle and have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher within two hours of having driven, which is in some instances referred to as “per se driving under the influence,” and that essentially means that the person in actual control of the vehicle may automatically be arrested and charged with driving under the influence if his or her blood alcohol concentration level is at the level of .08 or higher.
On the other hand, a person operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .05 or less within two hours of having operated a motor vehicle may or may not be considered to be driving under the influence if that BAC level is between .05 and .08 within two hours of having been in actual physical control of said motor vehicle.
From there, it all gets very confusing for most everyday people who do not have an in-depth understanding of the law and science of DUI, and that’s why it’s crucial that you understand that a DUI arrest does not at all have to mean a DUI conviction. Because even if this is your first and only misdemeanor driving under the influence charge in Arizona or anywhere else, you may still receive very severe penalties under the law if you are not properly represented.
Fines and Other Penalties Associated with First Time DUI Charges in Arizona
When it comes to your first ever DUI charge in the state of Arizona, if you have been found guilty of being in actual physical control of any motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or more, you can expect the following fines and penalties:
- As little as 24 hours and as much as six months in jail
- A base fine of $250 that can be amended and added to until it amounts to as much as $2,500 in total fines and fees to the court
- A total suspension of your driving privileges anywhere from 90 up to 360 days
- Installation of an ignition interlock device on any motor vehicle(s) you operate
- Probation decided by the judge up to as much as five (5) years
- The possibility of community service hours, the amount of which will be decided by the judge in your case
- Most cases, the judge may decide that a complete drug and/or alcohol assessment is required, which may also result in alcohol education classes for a period to also be determined by the judge in your case
The only way to ensure that you have the best chance of not facing these fines and other penalties, including jail time, is to have an experienced Phoenix DUI attorney on your side who understands Arizona DUI law, and who can assess the nuances of your case in an effort to get all charges dropped or dramatically reduced.
What Happens if it’s a Second DUI or Third DUI?
If you have received a second DUI conviction or third DUI conviction within the same 7 years (84 months) as your first time DUI conviction, the penalties and fines can significantly increase.
Having a DUI lawyer defend your rights is absolutely critical as you face thousands in fines, potentially years in prison, loss of driving privileges and a criminal record that can follow you indefinitely.
Best Rated Phoenix DUI Lawyer for Misdemeanor DUI Charges in Phoenix, Arizona
With proper representation from an Phoenix DUI lawyer who understand first-time DUI law in and around Phoenix, and who has used the nuances of that law to win cases all around the Greater Phoenix Metro Area, and who understands that each and every case is different and has its own unique circumstances, you stand a far better chance of getting your DUI charges dismissed or at least dramatically reduced.
The Law Office of Daniel Hutto in the Phoenix area comes with the experience necessary to win driving under the influence cases just like yours. If you are ready to begin with a winning defense, let us help you get started right away with our free legal consultation.
Get all your Arizona misdemeanor first time DUI or second time DUI questions answered right away, get to know our AZ DUI law team, and help us understand what makes your case different so that we can continue down the path of crafting a winning defense based on the circumstances of your case.
To start with your free legal consultation today, give us a call at 602.536.7878 and our experienced and caring staff will take all the needed information to get your defense underway.
Some of Our Real Client Reviews
- Daniel Hutto and his team are fantastic. I was in a hard situation when living in Arizona and Daniel worked non stop to gain the best results possible. I appreciate the constant communication and knowing he truly had my best interests and outcome at heart. Thank You Again Daniel. I have already recommended him to anyone looking for legal defense.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Michael O. (Review From Yelp)
- Our family was going through and unfortunate event when we needed an assistance of a lawyer. I contacted Mr Hutto. He was very professional and easy to work with. Never had any issues of reaching him out, he would return my call in a very timely manner. I was truly impressed. I recommended him to a number of my friends and family, he was very helpful. If you needed a lawyer, he is the one. Thank you Mr Hutto for your help.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Lara B. (Review From Yelp)
- Daniel and Shannon are some of the best lawyers out here. I came to them with a very complex and all over the place case. I have called a few other lawyers prior to retaining Daniel and those offices pretty much turned me away. As soon as I told Daniel about my case they acted quickly to assist and made such movement that took me months to do on my own. I truly felt that Shannon and Daniel took my case to heart and their passion about it was amazing. Thank you so much for your help and guidance. If anyone is looking for aggressive but very passionate lawyers you need to stop playing and retain the office of Daniel hutto..⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anthony Wilson (Review from Google)
- If I could rate this law office 100 stars I would. Daniel and his staff went above and beyond what they needed to do to help me with my case. They did it with the utmost professionalism and respect. I couldn't have asked for a better law office to represent me. I would highly recommend to anyone who needed an attorney.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Taylor Cochran (Review from Google)
- Tried and proven! I highly recommend Daniel and his team for any international matters that you may need. Daniel is an AMAZING attorney and his professional service was simply awesome. Caring and a very knowledgeable attorney who keeps you involved during the entire process. He gave prompt replies, incredible legal knowledge, displayed a high level of professionalism, clear thorough advice and completed research to find the best winningest option for you! We won...Simply the BEST from start to finish!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Philippa A. (Review from Avvo)
- In what has been the most stressful situation of my entire life, Daniel was there to assist me and get me out of this situation. I honestly don’t know what I would have done without him. He was very attentive to what I wanted, very prompt with his responses. And able to answer all my questions no matter how ridiculous they were. If you need a family lawyer, I highly recommend him. I’m so very grateful.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anonymous (Review from Avvo)
- Daniel saved my record by getting both DUI charges dropped. He truly connected with me and acted as if the case was happening to him. Daniel fights hard and aggressively in court by using real facts and laws. He made me feel secure and taken care of through his communication, diligence and patience to find every little detail and angle of my case. I felt as if we were a team and in this together. He's talented beyond his knowledge of the court system and laws. He's quick on his toes. I really could not have found a better lawyer. I am forever grateful for his thorough effort and determination to find success. Thank you Daniel!!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anonymous (Review from Avvo)