Hiring a Phoenix, Arizona Assault Attorney: What You Need to Know Now
Assault charges can rise from a wide variety of circumstances ranging from a disagreement that got out of hand in a public place to a charge of domestic violence that occurred in the home. But regardless of how it came to be, an assault charge in Arizona can come with some pretty serious — and pretty scary consequences. For this reason, if you have been charged with assault, you will need a veteran Phoenix criminal defense lawyer with experience as an assault attorney on your side.
You Have Rights and We’re Here to Help!
If you or someone you care about has been charged with assault in Arizona, acting quickly is the smartest thing you can do. Your first step is to understand what different assault charges will mean for you.
Simple Misdemeanor Assault in Arizona: What it Means, What the Penalties Are
In Phoenix and throughout Arizona, a simple assault is a misdemeanor offense charge that occurs when someone either threatens or uses physical force to instill fear or cause suffering by way of bodily harm.
There are three different levels of a simple assault charge according to the guidelines set forth by Arizona Revised Statutes ARS § 13-1203, which are Class 1–3 misdemeanors with penalties as follows:
Class 3 Misdemeanor Assault:
A simple assault in which the offender in any way touched someone else with the intent to either provoke, injure, or otherwise harm them. A Class 3 misdemeanor assault may result in as many as 30 days in jail with fines up to $500.
Class 2 Misdemeanor Assault:
When a simple assault is given a class 2 misdemeanor charge, it means the alleged offender threatened to harm or cause injury to someone else and carries with it a potential for up to 4 months in jail along with up to $750 in fines.
Class 1 Misdemeanor Assault:
A simple assault is a class one misdemeanor, because, allegedly, the assault resulted in physical injury or actual harm to another person. If convicted, this charge can result in as much as 6 months in jail as well as potential fines of as much as $2,500.
Felony Aggravated Assault in Arizona
In addition to misdemeanor assault in Arizona, there are more severe felony assault charges known as aggravated assault, which is punished much more seriously than simple assault in Arizona and can include sentencing to as many as 15 years in prison.
It’s important that you know the difference in the charges that make the difference between misdemeanor and aggravated assault. Some of the things that can elevate an assault charge include:
- Physically restraining someone during the assault
- Strangulation or impeding someone’s breathing
- Using a deadly weapon or any instrument that could be construed as deadly
- Causing serious physical injury
- Assaulting someone younger than 15 years of age
- Committing an assault after illegally entering their home
- Assaulting an officer of the law
When it comes to aggravated assault in Arizona, prison terms escalate depending on which of the factors above were violated and can also increase on the basis of other surrounding circumstances — and in the case of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon there is a mandatory prison sentence.
Compassionate & Successful Phoenix Criminal Defense Attorney
If you or a loved one has been arrested or otherwise charged with misdemeanor assault or aggravated assault, it’s important that you know your rights and understand what you may be up against. Likewise, it is critical that you begin preparing for your defense now.
There’s no better way to do this than to get in touch with the Law Offices of Daniel Hutto today. We offer a completely free consultation so you can rest assured that we’ll achieve the best possible outcome for your case based on the unique nature of your specific circumstances.
We know this can be a scary and stressful time for those who have been accused and for their families, and that’s why we have worked so hard to put together the most compassionate and experienced law office team you’ll find anywhere in Arizona today. Give us a call. Begin the process of defending yourself today by dialing 602.536.7878.
Some of Our Real Client Reviews
- Daniel Hutto and his team are fantastic. I was in a hard situation when living in Arizona and Daniel worked non stop to gain the best results possible. I appreciate the constant communication and knowing he truly had my best interests and outcome at heart. Thank You Again Daniel. I have already recommended him to anyone looking for legal defense.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Michael O. (Review From Yelp)
- Our family was going through and unfortunate event when we needed an assistance of a lawyer. I contacted Mr Hutto. He was very professional and easy to work with. Never had any issues of reaching him out, he would return my call in a very timely manner. I was truly impressed. I recommended him to a number of my friends and family, he was very helpful. If you needed a lawyer, he is the one. Thank you Mr Hutto for your help.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Lara B. (Review From Yelp)
- Daniel and Shannon are some of the best lawyers out here. I came to them with a very complex and all over the place case. I have called a few other lawyers prior to retaining Daniel and those offices pretty much turned me away. As soon as I told Daniel about my case they acted quickly to assist and made such movement that took me months to do on my own. I truly felt that Shannon and Daniel took my case to heart and their passion about it was amazing. Thank you so much for your help and guidance. If anyone is looking for aggressive but very passionate lawyers you need to stop playing and retain the office of Daniel hutto..⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anthony Wilson (Review from Google)
- If I could rate this law office 100 stars I would. Daniel and his staff went above and beyond what they needed to do to help me with my case. They did it with the utmost professionalism and respect. I couldn't have asked for a better law office to represent me. I would highly recommend to anyone who needed an attorney.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Taylor Cochran (Review from Google)
- Tried and proven! I highly recommend Daniel and his team for any international matters that you may need. Daniel is an AMAZING attorney and his professional service was simply awesome. Caring and a very knowledgeable attorney who keeps you involved during the entire process. He gave prompt replies, incredible legal knowledge, displayed a high level of professionalism, clear thorough advice and completed research to find the best winningest option for you! We won...Simply the BEST from start to finish!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Philippa A. (Review from Avvo)
- In what has been the most stressful situation of my entire life, Daniel was there to assist me and get me out of this situation. I honestly don’t know what I would have done without him. He was very attentive to what I wanted, very prompt with his responses. And able to answer all my questions no matter how ridiculous they were. If you need a family lawyer, I highly recommend him. I’m so very grateful.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anonymous (Review from Avvo)
- Daniel saved my record by getting both DUI charges dropped. He truly connected with me and acted as if the case was happening to him. Daniel fights hard and aggressively in court by using real facts and laws. He made me feel secure and taken care of through his communication, diligence and patience to find every little detail and angle of my case. I felt as if we were a team and in this together. He's talented beyond his knowledge of the court system and laws. He's quick on his toes. I really could not have found a better lawyer. I am forever grateful for his thorough effort and determination to find success. Thank you Daniel!!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Anonymous (Review from Avvo)